Friday, February 25, 2011

defining progress

Over the past month, its no secret that a significant slow-down in my weight loss was both inevitable and disappointing.

Naturally my first couple weeks saw a faster drop than the rest of my journey will produce. However, 2 lbs in three weeks is slower-than usual progress for me (I consider 1 lb a week to be a good pace - after all, I still have over 30 lbs to go) and given that I've been pretty good, it was really starting to bother me.

Luckily, I had the foresight to measure myself at the beginning of the month. So yesterday, in my confused and frustrated state, I took my measurements a week early, just to see....

The reason is I truly feel I'm starting to 'see' a slight difference, even if I haven't dropped a full size yet and the scale is dancing around the same few numbers.

So I pulled out my tape measure and jotted down my measurements. Then I had to call almost everyone I know and share the good news - not really - but almost... In three weeks where I didn't see the scale move much, I've lost 1/2 inch off my waist, 1 inch off my hips and 1/2 inch off my neck (which sort of horrifies yet elates me).

Women today tend to be more barrel-shaped compared to the hour-glass shapes of our mothers and grandmothers. But I think with the right diet and exercise, we can get those figures back. I really think we eat too much, and too much of our food comes out of a box.

I strongly encourage you to measure your progress in more than one way. The scale is not always the best reflection that you are moving forward - especially when you are following an exercise routine.

Here's a reminder on where on the body to measure - and make sure the bust measurement goes over the nipple line.

No comments:

Post a Comment