Sunday, February 13, 2011

sometimes, life gives you chocolate peanut butter cake

I love the saying "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade." But even better, in my opinion, is "if live gives you lemons, ask for tequila and salt."

Yesterday, life gave me a huge slice of chocolate peanut butter cake. No joke. We went to a restaurant for lunch, had a burger with a side salad (w/o cheese, etc) and had a couple of my hubby's fries instead of having my own order. I was allowing myself to indulge without going overboard, completely in control, or so I thought.

Then, as we waited for our bill, the waiter brought over a HUGE slice of chocolate peanut butter cake, on the house. Proving that, no matter how good you are, sometimes things are just out of your control.

I mean, who would even think something like that would ever happen? But it did.


I allowed myself to have one bite, which turned into two small bites as the cake was so tall. Then, I deployed a dieting trick that I only use in desperate circumstances.

I put my fork on the table, so it was dirty, and couldn't be used again.

I used to do this in China, when we were eating Chinese food which is always served family style. Each person has a small bowl or plate and you eat directly from the communal dishes. It is very hard to keep track of how much you eat this way, as you don't have a visual measure of it. Also, it is rude for them to 'clear the table' while you are still sitting there, so in China they leave the dishes in front of you for the remainder of the time you are there. Which leads to excessive picking in my case, another little piece here, a small pinch of that there and so on. So I used to put my chopsticks on the table. As dirty as some Chinese restaurants are, using them again would likely result in instant death or violent diarrhea. Either way, a risk not worth taking.

However, Singapore is nothing if not clean. So this move didn't have the same affect and I had to fight the urge to have just one more bite.

But I was successful, and lost a half lb to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment