Monday, January 10, 2011

a case of the mondays

Monday, January 10, 2011

So today was one of my first days back in the office. Over the holidays, we moved offices - so try not to be jealous. As if moving 3 times in a year wasn't enough fun, moving offices is also a super way to ring in the holidays.

After standing in the elevator shaft yesterday morning for 20 mins (a new door lock system was implemented while I was away) to the realization that there are no Starbucks in walking distance of this office, I can say a "case of the Mondays" were in full effect by 9:30am.

While I had managed to pack a small salad for lunch with leftovers, it really wasn't enough to suffice as a meal, more as a side. So when colleagues asked me to lunch, I jumped at the chance to not have to 'explore' the neighborhood in the rain, but follow people who have been here for two weeks already.

We went across the street to a small food court type place, but its a sorry excuse for a food court. While I was secretly nervous about the limited healthy options a five stand outdoor food court would present, my colleagues quickly comforted me.
"This place is nasty," they said. "But its raining, so we don't want to walk 15 minutes back to the old office."
The old office had business centers on all sides, with everything from Subway, to small cafes, Starbucks, coffee bean, a small deli stand, noddle shops, etc. In short, you could easily go healthy if you wanted...not that I totally took advantage of that at the time!

So looking at the four stands of greasy noddles and deep fried meats, I saw a chicken rice stand! Diet saved, I thought. Chicken rice stands are immensely popular, the best part is that most of them offer a steamed chicken option, which is just steamed chicken over white rice. So I step up and order, only to find out they are 'sold out' - which is a term loosely used in Asia that can mean anything from 'we've never had it' to 'we're truly sold out today, sorry' to 'we will never serve that here'.

So, I went for what I thought would be the next best thing, roasted pork over rice. It's roasted, that's gotta be healthier than fried chicken or pork, and better to have a small serving of meat over steamed rice vs greasy noodles, right?

When my plate arrived, I realize the term 'roasted' had a different meaning.

what roasted pork looks like (although this is double my portion)

It was basically cuts of pork that had the lean meat, the fat and the crispy skin on on one piece. Tasty of course, but no one in their right mind would call it a healthy choice. It may have been the lesser of evils, but it was a far cry from diet friendly.

Luckily, it was a very small portion. Probably 3oz of meat total, and I only ate half my rice. Unfortunately, I was left feeling guilty for a bit over this dilemma.

But I shook it off, this is part of a long-term plan to turn my body/health around. And real life means situations like this.

And anyway, I'm pretty sure food guilt makes you gain weight on the spot, so who needs it!

Exercise - rest day

Breakfast - 350
1c noodle soup w fresh spinach and 1 egg
coffee w/ low fat milk

Lunch - 500
side leftover cous cous salad (1/3 c), and lettuce mix
roasted pork 2/3 c rice -

Dinner - 530
stir fried chicken with carrots and yellow pepper
1/2c white rice
1/2c cucumber in vinegar
chocolate - 90 cal

Total daily? Your guess is as good as mine! But approximately 1380.

No comments:

Post a Comment