Sunday, January 16, 2011

looking for motivation?

My Mom once told me about visual motivation to keep you focused on your weight loss goals. She had read about people hanging up their bikinis in their room so that they could see it every day and be motivated to drop those few winter pounds in order to get 'beach ready' for summer.

I think this sounds like a great idea, except for me, I'm not trying to lose those last few pounds, just yet anyway. It wouldn't motivate me, it would feel too far away from where I am. I think that's why I never lost much weight before, my 50 lb goal was too far away, that it always felt like it didn't matter what I did today really.

I'm down 7lbs now total, and I'm focused on getting off 3lbs to meet my next goal.

In keeping with this incremental mentality, this is my first visual motivator.

My Jessica Simpson sequin dress

It's a black dress with gold sequins that I ordered online. It was expensive, by my standards, and while it is my size, it is a non-stretch material that is pinched in at the waist. It zips up ok, but I look like a stuffed (sparkly) sausage in it. It's just too tight in the tummy for me right now. But with the sequins, it can't be taken in or out.

I estimate losing 10lbs will make a huge difference in how it fits, although, it may be even more than this.

Either way, its something that fits, that I just need to get a few lbs off for it to fit better. I can't wait to try it on in a couple weeks. When I meet my next goal, only 3lbs away, I'm gonna try it on and see if losing the first 10lbs made a difference. If not, it'll hang on my wall a little bit longer, maybe until the next 5lb goal.

Either way, I am SO excited to rock that dress.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Lady! I tried on a dress this past week, while on the cruise with my family... didn't go over my pi pi/thighs. Very disappointing. It's now hanging outside my closet right by my gym clothes... Keep motivated, cause it helps to motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that is the worst feeling, but at least it is a close goal and you know with a little work you are back in that dress in no time! I can't wait to wear this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will rock that dress and I can't wait to see it when you do! You have to post a picture of yourself wearing it when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete