Wednesday, January 12, 2011

tempting fate

Yesterday I posted before I had left the office. So yes, I had put what I was having for a snack and dinner in there and put it out there for the world to see.

I was taking charge!

But then life b*tch slapped me and told me not to count my chickens before they've hatched. Or, well, in my case, before they've defrosted...but I'll get to that in a minute.

My afternoon started to sour, literally, when I went to have my afternoon snack. I still have quite a few weight watchers mini cans of tuna in sauce from when I was doing that diet. They're not great, in fact, I secretly kind of hate them. But I decided I should use them, and they are low calorie and a good source of protein. So I packed some off to work and stuck it in my drawyer with a pack of ryvita crackers. A mini can on the cracker works out to be 100 calories, and obviously protein + hi-fiber is a winning combo.

I decided to go with the mango chutney tuna, I was feeling tangy, you know how it is. After a few bites, it struck me that this looks like cat food, so I took a picture for y'all. You're welcome. But then I started thinking that this tastes worse than I remember it... Choking down another bite, I tell myself that I'm just being paranoid because I've gone and thought about cat food!


I'm now nearly half way through forcing down my Ryvita and I pick the lid of the can up out of the trash. That's when I discover the tuna expired in June 2010. So, perhaps that's the sour taste.

You'll be proud of me, I didn't gag at my desk. But I threw the rest out. So my snack moves down from 100 calories to 50 rancid calories!

I took the opportunity to check the rest of the tuna cans, and don't you know, the rest are all good until 2012, so I picked just the right one.

As if this wasn't enough, I called my husband in the afternoon to ask him to take a chicken breast out of the freezer for me. I bought two fresh ones the other day and stuck them in there, and he was supposed to be out for his class that night so I decided I would just make some grilled chicken when I got home. Boring, but super healthy, and I always lose weight when I make it. Mr Supportive starts telling me that he can't see it in the freezer, but there is already one on the counter defrosting.

This sends alarm bells off for me, it means our nanny has taken it out of the freezer and is likely planning to stir-fry it for my dinner. Such a great thing that she is thinking of cooking for me, but at the same time, she will use a quarter cup of oil on that one breast. So I ask him to put her on the phone, but he says she's upstairs napping. So I ask him to please tell her that I'll just grill it myself when I get home as I'm trying to be healthy. She supports this and will totally understand.

But as I hang up the phone, I don't feel quite right about it, in fact, I feel a bit cranky but that could be because I just ate half a can of rotten tuna, who knows.

Well work gets busy and I don't leave the office till 7:15, which means I'll get home at 7:45 if I splurge and take a cab. Not wanting to eat too late, I do just that. The hubby calls me on the way home, while he is headed to his class and tells me that X (our nanny) had stir fried the chicken already by the time he saw her. Really... He then helpfully tells me that if I'm trying to eat earlier I should leave work earlier.

So, I had a small portion of stir-fried chicken and a quarter cup of rice for dinner, with some broccoli cooked in soy sauce. Just to make sure that yesterday wasn't the day I dealt with the sodium issue. (I looked it up, and a T of soy sauce has pretty much your daily max amount of sodium. Awesome).

An interesting side note is my hubby spent 30 minutes getting to his class only to find out they moved them from Wednesday to Tuesday, so it wasn't an off-night for only me. :-)


So, here's what Wednesday REALLY looked like.



Needless to say, I felt borderline hostile last night and ended up in tears before I went to bed.

Luckily, I'd lost a half lb back this morning. Is it annoying that more than half the week is gone and I'm still up a half lb from last weigh in? Yes, but at least we have downward motion again!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, focus on the positive downward motion. How is the running coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason the first two weeks I was really pushing myself, I actually gained 4 lbs. It'll come off - just keep it up. Also, I have a FABULOUS 30 min treadmill workout that is amazing! And, the best part is it goes by in a flash, you burn TONS of calories, and keep your metabolism going all day. I can email it to you if you're interested! Keep up the good work!! xo

    ReplyDelete