Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday January 8, 2011

My husband and daughter returned home (we live in Singapore now) from an extended stay in England after Christmas. I've had half a week of being home alone, being healthy and exercising. It's easy to do when its just me. It's significantly harder when my husband is around.

Not that he isn't supportive, quite the opposite, he believes in what I'm doing. But that doesn't mean that he wants to do it, all the time.

Yesterday morning I woke up to him suggesting we go out to breakfast. How sweet is that?! That never happens, and I was excited about it. If we were at home in Florida (where I'm from) or in England (where he is from) I would have jumped at the chance. I could easily order and egg white omlette (which I love) or something healthy in most cafes. But where we live in Singapore, the option is the food court at the bottom of our road. Coffee made with condensed milk, white bread with butter and sugar and 2 soft boiled (runny almost raw) eggs. That's the traditional breakfast, of course I could also get a bowl of greasy noodles...

traditional Singaporean breakfast - Kopi (coffee), kaya +butter toast and runny eggs

My husband was devestated that I expressed concern, here he is being spontaneous! Oh, and he'd been up with our daughter since 3am, both of them extremely jet-lagged, so he was ready to get out of the house. I suggested I eat first at the house and go down with him and just have a coffee, which he told me would 'ruin it'.

So I suggested I cook a big family breakfast for everyone, and English breakfast! Baked beans, eggs, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms, the works. This was more exciting than the food at the food court, but significantly healthier (just don't tell him that).

So...here's my day!

Exercise - none, it was a rest day

Breakfast - approx 300 cal
  • 1.5 egg scrambled with peppers and onions
  • 2 T baked beans
  • 1/2 slice wholegrain toast
  • 2T grilled mushrooms and small tomatoes
  • coffee w/ skim

Lunch - 325 cal
  • Subway 6in roasted chicken breast (no cheese), all vegies and mustard

Afternoon snack - approx 200 cal
  • 3 peanut m&ms (leftover from christmas!)
  • 2 fresh vegie and meat dumplings, steamed
  • small green apple

Dinner - approx 520 cal
  • 2 bites of mac n cheese with vegies and chicken that i made for my daughter!
  • 4 oz pan grilled red snapper
  • 1 c cous cous salad (altho most is tomatoes with probably 1/2c actual cous cous)
  • vegie salad with salad dressing spray (10 cal)
  • 2 glasses dry white wine
  • 1 square dark chocolate

dinner is served!

Total - approx 1200 cal

No comments:

Post a Comment