Thursday, January 6, 2011

one objective, two goals

Obviously my main objective is to lose the weight, and get back to a healthy size. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that carrying excess weight in your waist is the most dangerous kind of weight gain.

That's always been where I've gained it, quickly followed by my face/chin.

Some people gain in their thighs and butts, I hate these people. They're called pear-shaped. I would like to call them 'people who can work it'. Pear shapes can, in most cases, easily cover their weight fluctuations in nice skirts, as a thin face and tiny waist, overall, make you look thin.

Not me, my face gives itself away - in fact, it probably makes me look even heavier than I am. I've seen people who have 200 lbs to lose, who have a tight chin, and you'd be amazed how you automatically think they are thinner than they are.

Let's just say, with a big midsection and face, I'm not 'wearing it well'. There's really not much one can do to hide the midsection. Flowy tops make you look pregnant, empire waists do the same.

So while it sounds vain, my sole objective is to lose the weight.

But I have two goals...

1. Eat Better - by this I mean to eat better more often but not 'diet'. I don't want this to be a temporary thing, I don't want to yo-yo. In the past few years, I've lost 10 lbs on the low GI diet, then gained it back. 20 lbs on weight watchers, then gained it back. I just can't mentally be on a diet the rest of my life. But, I am willing to count calories and be aware of what I'm eating, and compensate for certain allowances by being extra good before/after.

2. Get in Shape - I don't just want to shrink down, I want to build muscle and improve health through stamina and exercise. I want to be a runner, I want to get back into tennis, and I want to just be more active overall.

I've always been moderately active (gym a couple times a week) and I eat pretty well. I think its just not often enough, and not consistent enough. Most importanlty, I've never really gotten the two things working at the same time. I've either dieted, but was so hungry or too afraid to be hungry, to really incorporate exercise. Or, I've exercised and therefore felt like I was burning more calories so could eat more - only maintaining my weight at best.

You can see I have created a reward system for myself on this blog, to the right column. I've done a system according to weight loss goals, but also to fitness goals.

This is what I'm doing - the Couch to 5K Running Plan. Check it out here. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I'm starting at week 2, as I already do some running. Just did my first run yesterday, and it was good. Easy enough to make me want to go again today, instead of quit.

I plan to weigh in weekly, to track my progress on a weekly basis. Of course, I no doubt will weigh in between on occasion, but its crazy to hold yourself to daily fluctuations. Once I find my tape measure - I'll use that as a tool too. One thing I learned in WW was how important measuring becomes, as sometimes you don't lose weight, but you lost inches, which is as important.


So, here we go....

1 comment: